Cornish Yarg mac 'n' cheese recipe
60g Tiger baguette/bread
2 tbsp Butter and another tbsp melted
280g Macaroni pasta
2 Garlic cloves
1 tsp English mustard powder
3 tbsp Plain flour
100g Cheddar cheese
150g Cornish Yarg
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200C. Dice the bread into small chunks and place them on a lined baking tray. Drizzle the chunks with the melted butter. Bake them in the oven for around 8 minutes or until they go crisp. Set them aside when they’re done.
- Boil the pasta for 9 minutes. In a separate saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Crush the garlic into the pan and add the mustard powder. Cook for 1 minute and then sieve in the plain flour.
- Stir the mixture until it becomes a paste. Gradually add the milk and whisk it until all the milk is incorporated and the sauce is lump-free. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, whisking constantly until the sauce is nice and thick.
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Grate the cheddar and 50g of the yard and add it to the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and add a sprinkle of paprika.
- Place the pasta into an oven dish and pour in the sauce, mixing everything together to ensure all the pasta is saturated. Grind some pepper over the top and add another lashing of paprika. Top the macaroni with the toasted bread chunks and grate the rest of the yarg. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top, being sure to leave no gaps.
- Bake in the oven on gas mark 6/200°C for 20 minutes, or until the top has gone crisp.