Cornish Blue dauphinoise potatoes recipe
4 or 5 Medium-sized potatoes
400g Smoked bacon lardons
1 Large red onion
300g Mature cheddar
250ml Double cream
150g Cornish Blue Cheese
Salt & pepper
- Peel the potatoes and discard the skins. Cut the potatoes into thin slices, around 1 or 2mm thick. You want the slices to be as thin as possible otherwise they won’t cook properly.
- Place the sliced potatoes into a bowl and pour in the double cream. Mix the cream with the potatoes, ensuring each slice is saturated.
- Peel the red onion and cut it into rings.
- Grate the cheddar cheese.
- In a 35cmx25cm dish, layer some of the potato slices by placing one slice next to another until the bottom of the dish is no longer visible. Sprinkle a handful of the grated cheddar cheese on top of the potato. Add some of the smoked lardons, ensuring they’re spread evenly. Scatter some of the red onion on top and crumble a small handful of the Cornish Blue. Salt and pepper the layer and sprinkle some smoked paprika over the top.
- Repeat the layering process until all of the ingredients have been used. Feel free to use more cheddar and Cornish Blue if you’d like a really cheesy dish.
- Once complete, grate some more cheddar cheese to sprinkle over the top. Ensure this top layer is completely covered with the cheese.
- Place into the oven on gas mark 5/190°C for around 1 hour 15 minutes or until the top has turned golden brown.